Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Digital Mapping

For this blog, I will focus on a new topic related to using a GPS. Actually, I discussed it in my previous blog about the students in Washington and their quest for the horny toad, I just didn't know there was a special GPS-related word for what they were doing. After reading Here, There, and Everywhere by Linda Briggs, I can now add "digital mapping" and "GIS" to my GPS vocabulary list.

GIS, or Geographic Information System, is computer software that is used in conjunction with a GPS unit. Data from the GPS is imported into a database. This data can then be used to create tables, maps, etc. Different layers can be made and overlapped to aid in comparisons. Students in Washington imported their data to create layers of the different sitings of the horny toads over time. This concept of creating maps from GPS information is called "digital mapping".

According to the article, using a GIS is getting easier and several free GIS programs are available. Curious as to whether I thought I could use GIS software with elementary students, I decided to exploreArcExplorer, which was recommended by Briggs. According to the website, "ArcExplorer-Java Edition for Education (AEJEE) was designed as an introductory-level desktop application to view, query, and analyze GIS data and conduct basic spatial processes." The free version allows a user to create topographic maps, physical feature maps, shaded relief maps, historical maps, and street maps. Layers can be combined to create custom maps. I watched some tutorials and read some of the support documents. It worked very much like Google Earth. I went ahead and downloaded the latest version with plans to explore it further.

In the mean time, seeing a connection to Google Earth got me thinking. I currently received a version of Google Earth Pro that I have yet to really explore. It is supposed to have enhanced capabilities, such as synchronization with a GPS. I think I will spend some time on my next blog posts exploring that option. (I can't believe I had forgotten all about it!)

Briggs, L. (2007). "Here, There, and Everywhere." T.H.E. Journal Online: Technology Horizons in Education 34(5). Retrieved April 1, 2008, from http://thejournal.com/articles/20620.

4 comments:

EmilyB said...

Anna you have really introduced me into a whole world of education that I didn't know existed. The more I read the more interested I get and the more I think I would like to DO this even more than TEACH it! I hope you'll let us know how you like Google Earth Pro. My students love the regular one.

Jessica said...

I actually downloaded GoogleEarth as my piece of software that I wanted to explore for this week's module. I've heard of it but have never actually used it. What a shame for a geography teacher - huh? I plan to change that soon!

Sue Harner said...

It is interesting all the different things you can do with Google Earth. I will have to revisit since I have just used it as an interactive map. I hope to be able to explore some of the activities you have shared. I look forward to your next blog.

Sue Harner said...

Anna, wasn't sure how to get a message to you so I thought I would try this avenue. I have used Kidspiration and love it yet I have only touched the surface and would love to see your suggestions. I just went on your website and loved the comic strip activity. Should I message you through the class message system?