Thursday, April 10, 2008

Grant Proposal Accepted - YEAH!

In March, I submitted a proposal for the DeWitt E. and Vera M. Hooker Fellowship Grant sponsored by the Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS). My grant proposal, entitled Empowering Student Learners with GPS was accepted, so I will now have the funds to purchase a class set of handheld GPS units along with all the other paraphanalia needed to start geocaching at my school.

This was a wonderful surprise on many levels. First, I've applied for this grant on several other occasions as have many colleagues at my school. No one has ever received one before. Second, each week as I continued my exploration of GPS, GIS, and Geocaching, I became more and more excited about it. I knew that even without winning the grant, I would make it happen at my school some how. Finally, the timing of the announcement has put the bounce back in my step! April and May are always such a difficult time - so much to accomplish, not enough time to do so. I have something so incredible to look forward to.

Guess I'll be continuing this blog once the class is over!

3 comments:

Sue Harner said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! The old saying never give up has paid off. I know I was going to write a grant for iPods in a reading program but maybe I'll try for a GPS project too.

Jessica said...

I'm so happy for you! Your persistence paid off! Thanks so much for chosing this topic this semester, I have learned so much!

EmilyB said...

Congratulations on winning the grant! I know they are tough to win but I can tell you are very passionate about this subject and that the funds couldn't be in better hands. You've inspiried me just by reading your blog so I'm certain the GPS tools in your classroom will make a tremendous impact on your students. I will look forward to following your blog in the future to see where you take this project.