In my search for lessons integrating GPS into the elementary curriculum, I came across a wonderful site from the Tangipahoa Parish in Louisiana. GPS units were purchased through a REAP (Rural Education Achievement Program) grant. As part of their professional development program, teachers completed an online course. Instead of a stipend, they received a GPS unit for their classroom. Two additional sets of 15 units are available for checkout in the parish by trained teachers.
Here are some of their activities along with ways I might use them at my school:
Measurement Geocache "How Do You Measure Up?" - Students in 2nd grade located a cache with a tape measure to measure and record the length of different body parts.
I think I would take this further and have students use different units at each cache (cm, mm, inches, feet, etc.).
Easter Egg Hunt - students in first grade used GPS units to locate hidden eggs - each egg had a treat and letters. They had to move the letters around to spell an Easter word.
I loved the idea of integrating language arts. This activity could be done with weekly spelling words. Students could also review science or math vocabulary.
Distance Geocache - Fourth graders went on a Walking Tour of Ponchatoula (the city in which the live) where they measured distances with the GPS units and used the compass for directions.
We could measure distances between the different buildings on campus to help us draw a map that is to scale.
Rock Geocache - 6th grade classes found caches on Rocks and Minerals. There were sample Louisiana rocks that students had to use a map to locate where these rocks are found and mark it on their LA map. Students had to test rocks, label the layers of the Earth, match fossils with the objects that made the indentations, and choose a pet rock to name and decorate later.
While a bit advanced for my students, I could modify the lesson to have students locate rocks that would be found around the US. Students could identify the rock from a field guide and mark where they are located on a map. A great way to integrate science and social studies.
http://www.tangischools.org/GPS/default.htm
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thank you so much for showing me cool ways that geocaching can be integrated into other subjects. I'm liking your topic more and more everytime I read an entry!
I just love the variety of ways to use geocaching. I can't wait to ask others at our school if anyone is using it. I like how this group from Louisiana focused on local activities. Students need to be more aware of their surroundings. I hope to investigate the possibility of trying this out next year.
Post a Comment