Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Culture Caches

The newsreel element I added to my blog a few weeks ago has finally paid off! Today, the following headline appeared on my sidebar "Middle School Students "Cache-In" with GPS".

In this project, middle-school students in a World Cultures class created "culture" caches. The teacher, Lynn Hutchins, decided to give up her traditional research projects that would include a report and display. Instead, students would research their assigned countries, then in groups, create index cards with information about them. The index cards would be placed in a cache, along with items identified or made in that country (i.e. Eiffel Tower model for France.) The caches were placed in their community (5 local businesses agreed to participate) and are visited by the students, their families, and other geocachers. Visitors to the cache sign the log so that students can keep progress of the cache.

"Hutchins said students have gotten much more excited about the theme of location in geography. She said they feel like they are making connections with people outside the classroom with people coming as far away as Japan to sign the log at one of their caches."

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to read about this project. The entire focus of 2nd grade at our school is the seven continents. I could just imagine several caches based on this idea.

Idea 1: Have middle school geography students create caches about the seven continents as an introduction for the 2nd graders. Actually, I could have this years second graders write facts at the end of this school year for use next year.

Idea 2: The students already do a research project on famous landmarks from around the world. Wouldn't it be fun to have each child stash a cache about their famous landmark. Students could then be asked to locate at least one cache from each continent and record information in a mini-passport.

Idea 3: Create a cache for each continent unit (about 4-5 weeks long), either at the beginning as an introduction or at the end with questions the students have to answer.


Idea 4: Write caches about our city, state, or country and share them with other schools. It would be neat to create a network of schools to exchange informational caches about each other. For example, if I could get 8-10 schools from around the US to create a cache about their cities, I could hide them on our campus. Caches from schools in countries around the world would be even better.

Idea 5: Create caches for 1st grade students studying American Symbols (Liberty Bell, Mount Rushmore, Bald Eagle, White House, etc.). Student can draw a picture of each symbol and record an interesting fact in a log book.


The idea of putting caches in businesses is also brilliant. We have so many families in my school that I know would participate in this type of activity.

Resource:
Waters, J.(2008, April 8). Middle School students "cache" in with GPS. Suwanee Democrat. Retrieved on April 8, 2008 from http://www.suwanneedemocrat.com/suwannee/local_story_099094754.html.

2 comments:

EmilyB said...

Yet again, you've found another fascinating idea. I think what I like best about this whole concept is that it is really original and unlike anything I ever did in school. I think your ideas on this one are terrific, especially the idea of combining the older and younger students on the same project. I have one suggestion (and I hope that this wouldn't create extra work for you) do you have a picture of a cache like the one described here? I guess I'm still having a hard time imagining what this looks like and how you could hide it.

Sue Harner said...

The more I read your blogs the more I am excited about trying this myself. There is such a critical need for geography skills and knowledge. I was talking to a 6th grader one day and he asked if Georgia was in Florida. That really scares me. The idea that older and younger students work together is always of interest to me. I hope you keep this blog going as you work on this project.