Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Google Earth Intro for 2nd Grade


Thank you to Amanda Asbell (@asbella) on my Twitter network for help with a Google Earth activity for my 2nd graders. I was all set to geocache with them when the rain came. So, I had to scramble and find something else to do. She sent me a link to "Twenty-two interesting Ways to Use Google Earth in the Classroom."

Idea #11 is called "Where Are We Today?" and is a take on the game 20 Questions. I began by zooming in on Rome, Italy to street level. The students than asked questions that could only be answered with a "yes" or "no." I was absolutely amazed when my first class figured out my location in just four questions. Here they are:

1) Are you on a peninsula?
2) Are you on Europe?
3) Are you a famous city with lots of landmarks?
4) Are you Rome?

My other classes also named the city in less than 15 questions.

After the game, I gave a short intro to Google Earth, showing the students how to use the Fly To feature as well as the controls. They had a blast exploring the application, finding their house on Google Earth, and using the built in Sightseeing KMZ to fly around the world.

No comments: