Solochek, Jeffery. "Students take learning outside." St. Petersburg Times 17 February 2008. Retrieved on 5 March 2008 from http://www.sptimes.com/2008/
02/17/news_pf/Pasco/Students_take_learnin.shtml.
This article highlights a cross-divisional geocaching adventure that is taking place over four months in Crystal River, Florida. Working in teams of four students, high school freshman have selected 25 spots in the Crystal Springs preserve to document with photos, coordinates and other details. The students will use this information to create a Google map. The map will then be sent to a middle school in the area, who in turn will identify the 25 locations. The middle school students will create written field guides for elementary students who will search for hidden caches or treasures at each site.
This is a wonderful example of a multi-grade project that I hope to also make happen at my school. In this case, the project integrated science and technology, but any curriculum area would work.
Samuel Parisi, the coordinator of the project, has noted the following benefits of this type of hands-on program:
1. Students engaged in the decision-making process.
2. Students take pride in helping younger students.
3. Students construct their own knowledge and share it with others.
4. Students spend time in the world in which they live.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is an absolutely fascinating concept. I had no idea such a project existed. When will you find out if you get your grant? I really like how it includes all ages of students. I'd like to do it, too! Can't wait to read more about geocaching!
Emily
Wow, what an interesting concept. I had never even heard of geocaching before reading your blog. Thanks for teaching me something new!
Well, better late than never. sorry to be so long in getting to commenting but I love reading the blogs and hoe to get caught up. I had heard of Geocaching at a tech conference I attended last summer but didn't understand it and or thought it would apply much to my young students. Now with all the info you are providing, I am interested. I'm anxious to see your progress toward this goal. I think the article about the group in Crystal River is so exciting. I truly envy a district that uses high school, middle school and elementary in the same project. That is really multi-age!
Post a Comment