Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hide and Seek

Lary, Lynn. "Hide and Seek: GPS and Geocaching in the Classroom." Learning and Leading with Technology v31 n6 (2004): 14-18.

Retrieved March 11, 2008 from Eric EJ695752.

In this article, Lynn Lary, an instructional technologist specialist in Eugene, Oregon highlights the "sport" of geocaching. A geocacher herself, she decided to integrate GPS units and geocaching activities in her staff development sessions with teachers. Lynn shares several lesson plans, and highlights different kinds of geocache activities.

Clues Cache: Students are given physical clues in the form of riddles to solve. They then take pictures of the objects and record the coordinates.
i.e. Clue "This cache is illuminated and near the state flower of Virginia." (p.16) Answer: American Dogwood near a light post

Multi-Site Cache: The hunt begins with a given set of coordinates. Once located, the participant must answer a question or make a calculation to figure out the next set of coordinates. The hunt continues until all the clues and coordinates are found.

Locationless Caching: This type of cache does not require a GPS. The cache creator gives a description of what they would like found. Cachers try to take a picture of what they think the creator of the cache is looking for. Pictures of the objects and coordinates are posted online for the creator to view.

Travel Bugs: Also does not require GPS. This activity is similar to a Flat Stanley project. The cacher purchase a Travel Bug (set of marked dog tags) and attaches it to an item. The item is then released. Students can plot the movements on a map.

Even though my research into this topic has just begun, I'm excited to see that there are activities I can do with my students that do not require a GPS. While these activities do not foster the same kind of collaboration as a "real" geocache, they still offer a different way for children to learn about their world than just reading about places in a textbook.

3 comments:

EmilyB said...

I share your excitement in hearing ideas that do not require a GPS. I think the GPS aspect of it is really fascinating but since not all schools can afford them, it's good to see these skills can be learned at less expense (not that GPS isn't REALLY neat to use). I hope you don't mind if I pass this information on to the science teachers at my school.
Emily

Jessica said...

I really liked the examples you gave (or found) of geocaching. I found myself asking myself "how can I implement that with my students?" I don't see us ever getting GPS's (not that I'd have a clue how to use them if I had one) but there were still ways I could include this in my curriculum.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Sue Harner said...

I did do a type of Travel Bugs activity once with our school mascot the lion. A group of first grade teachers sent out a stuffed lion with a letter and then we tracked his travels on a map as we received letters from his travels. Never got him back though, I think he ended up in Texas. The students loved it and it was a great way to get in some map skills. The clue component was left out. I too am a lover of puzzles, try to do a jigsaw whenever we get an extended stay at the beach, I too have my Sudoku book close by.