Thursday, March 13, 2008

Geoscouting


Stevens, Mary. (2006) Boyscouts of America. "Geoscouting - Use Geocaching to Promote Scouting" Retreived on March 13, 2008 from http://www.geoscouting.com/index.html.

Confession. I was reading the blog of a colleague who added a news alert widget to her sidebar. I thought that it was such a wonderful idea, that I added one to my blog as well. I setup it up to search once a day for anything that appears in newspapers, video sites, etc about geocaching. I'm hoping some neat resources will come my way. Thanks Wendy!

So far nothing worth reporting has come up, but I did come across this link on the Boy Scouts of America Site. The Boy Scouts have adopted geocaching. Geoscouting, as they call it, is a natural extension for their program, fostering love for the outdoors, problem solving, and working as a team. Scouts can even earn a badge.

Our school has a scout troop that meets every Wednesday afternoon. I plan on asking if the troop participates in geoscouting. I think it would be a great way for me to get my feet wet, learning how to use a GPS and create a cache if they do. If they don't, it may be a worthwhile project to collaborate on with them.

No comments: