Monday, February 23, 2009

A Geocaching First


Last Tuesday, I took my four 2nd grade classes geocaching for the first time. We had so much fun. I was amazed at how easily they took to using the handheld GPS. They learned how to turn on the device, acquire satellites, and use the built-in compass to navigate the 450 feet to the cache (located in a field next to our campus). My 10 -minute introductory lesson included:

Asking the students how many of their parents have a GPS in their vehicles and how they are used. We talked about how some of the GPS found in cars are built into the consoles while others are mounted to the dash and portable.

Defining GPS for them, sharing graphics explaining how the satellites work, and brainstorming reasons why a handheld GPS might not always work (indoors, bad weather, tree cover).

Displaying images of the various screens they would see on the GPS device.

I think I have created monsters. Now all they want to do is talk about geocaching.

No comments: