Well, I am happy to report that my plans to start geocaching at my school are under way! I spent the summer purchasing supplies - tubs, labels, GPS, compasses, etc. and have plans for my first activity this week.
After practice reading and making maps, both in my computer lab and in their classrooms, my second graders will be going on their first treasure hunt. Armed with maps of our campus, student will search for clues in hopes of finding a treasure.
This first lesson will lay the groundwork for future activities. And, even though we aren't actually going to use the handheld GPS devices yet, understanding the concepts of direction, relative location, and absolute location are basic skills they need to have.
I still haven't figure out exactly what they will be searching for yet, but I'm sure something will come to be soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment